There are currently many different information computer technology (ICT) projects that are been rolled out within the Western Cape. These projects are in line with the Western Cape governments e-learning vision and strategy which is to ensure that learners are provided with the skills to participate in our increasingly technology-based economy.
The strategy includes a number of components that are critical to the provisioning of eLearning in our schools, namely:
- The linking of schools through a high-speed, real-time Wide Area Network (WAN).
- The provision of Local Area Networks (LANs) in schools.
- The refresh of existing computer laboratories and the provision of new laboratories and technology rich classrooms (smart classrooms).
- The development and expansion of online digital resources that are made available to all learners, parents and teachers.
- Teacher training and development in ICT and the use of eLearning in schools.